Michael R. Torres is a founding member of the public accounting firm PAAST, P.L. He has over 20 years of experience providing tax, accounting, attestation, business consulting, forensic accounting, and litigation support services to clients in the banking, hospitality and tourism, manufacturing, media, nonprofit, pharmaceutical, sports and entertainment, technology, and telecommunications industries. Michael’s experience includes domestic and international tax planning and preparation for individuals and corporations; preparing business plans for start ups, mergers and acquisitions; performing internal audits and operational reviews; as well as financial consulting. In addition, Michael has forensic accounting and fraud auditing experience on cases ranging from divorce to commercial litigation.
Michael has been involved in the performance of audits and agreed-upon procedures for financial institutions since 1997. He has worked in the Caribbean auditing international banks with various financial derivatives such as foreign currency forward exchange contracts, interest rate swaps, and equity swaps. Michael has also worked on international bank projects related to the Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering Act (BSA/AML) and the Patriot Act. He has also worked with various domestic banks in performing external audits, internal audits, BSA/AML consulting, loan reviews, and compliance audits of certain regulations.
Michael has lectured at Florida International University, Polaris International, now known as PrimeGlobal, and Bank United. He has appeared on Univision Television Network, CNN en Español Radio, Bloomberg in Español Radio, and Caracol USA Radio/1260 AM.
Michael stays current with topics relating to public accounting and financial institutions by frequently attending national, state and regional conferences hosted by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA); Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA), Financial Managers Society; Office of the Comptroller of the Currency; Florida Bankers Association; Florida International Bankers Association; South Florida Banking Institute; and Certified Fraud Examiners. He also participates in the annual Deposit and Lending Compliance Seminar hosted by PAAST.
Prior to starting his own public accounting firm, Michael was the vice president of finance for Marex, a NASDAQ listed company, and an audit senior at Arthur Andersen.
Florida International University
- Bachelor of Accounting | Master of Business Administration (magna cum laude)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)- State of Florida
- Member – American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member – Institute of Internal Auditors
- Member- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants (FICPA)
- Board Member (Past President, Secretary) – FICPA Miami Downtown Chapter
- Past Member- FICPA Technical Accounting and Auditing Technical Section Committee
- Member (Past President, Secretary) – Cuban American Certified Public
- Accountant of Record- Cuban Exile History Museum
- Past Member Prime Global, Finance Committee and Governance Committee
- Director – Florida International University School of Accounting Advisory Board
- Secretary and Treasurer- Hispanic Food and Beverage Foundation
- Member- Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Advisory Board – Berman Hopkins Wright & LaHam, CPAs and Associates, LLP.
- Recognized as a Top CPA in Litigation Support by the South Florida Legal Guide
- Named Most Supportive Professional by the Florida International University
Accounting Association in 2009
- 2012 South Florida Business Journal Key Partners Award
- Top Impact Law and Accounting Leaders Award by the Business Leader Magazine
- Awarded the Becker National High Score Award as a result of his high score on the Certified Public Accountant Examination
- Florida International University
- Prospective Financial Statements: Projections and Forecasts
- Bank United
- Bad Loans: Real Life Examples
- Tax of Foreigners
- Paperless Office